January 26, 2016

WLtoys Q282G

I always told my friends; don't buy that shit. I was talking about mini quad-copters, ready-to-fly, with FPV capability. They've been on the market for some time and at the local shop machines like the Hubsan X4 FPV sells for about 150~200 EUR (surprisingly small price difference to Chinese vendors). And people buying the Hubsan has been very disappointed with what they got for that price tag. It might seem I'm blaming everything on Hubsan and yes they did set a low water mark with what they promised and what they delivered. But maybe things are starting to change with the next generation of cheap FPV packages.

There was a massive new years sale at banggood and I noticed the WLToys Q282G. I've had a lot of WLToys stuff before and I've always considered them price worthy. It is cheap, you get what you pay for, but isn't that bad. And this micro FPV hexacopter was down to only 55 bucks. Not only that, it had one feature that caught my eye: 5.8GHz video link. I imagined a micro FPV quad that I can fly with my goggles, at work, annoying the boss and my co-workers.

I ordered it!

Yesterday, I got it. Should I spend time on the unfinished FPV 150 or rip open the package waiting for me? Guess what I did!

I'm gonna stick to the important parts and spare you the massive review for now. First off, what's in the box.


WLtoys Q282G


You get what you'd expect in the box, plus a few extras. There's a remote control, the hexacopter itself, a video screen, some extra props and two chargers. And a memory card with a USB memory card reader!

There are two things that are a bit special about all the stuff that you get here.

First off is the video screen. It is a small screen with built-in 5.8GHz receiver and a built in rechargable battery. This isn't the top notch screen, but a cheap screen with the same functionality is at least 100 dollars on it's own. It would be better but still not very good. Other FPV micro packages would come without any screen and you'd need your own smartphone instead.

A memory card, with reader. Wow, I've never gotten a memory card with any product. Ok, it's only 4Gb but I'm still surprised.

I did a quick indoor flight to check if everything worked as expected. It flies quite well LOS, as expected. Micros have become very good and stable and this is no exception. However FPV is harder than I expected. The camera has a quite narrow field-of-view which makes it hard to fly indoors. I tried it both with the screen, which is alright for the price, and with my Fatshark goggles. But I only got through one door post and crashed when I tried to make a turn in the kitchen. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Wait, did I say Fatshark? Yes, but no. It does not work with Fatshark. There's no way to change the frequency on the transmitter or receiver, at least not visibly and without a screw-driver. I hooked up my Fatshark goggles to my standalone video receiver and found that it was transmitting on 5.645 GHz (channel 14 in the receiver table). Video quality reception is good and you can use the Fatshark goggles this way. But the Fatsharks are not capable of receiving this frequency with the built-in receiver.

But still. I can fly this at work, with the screen and nothing more. And if people would like to try out FPV with goggle I can let them use the goggle with the standalone receiver. And all the stuff needed will still fit in my drawer at work!



No comments :

Post a Comment