January 6, 2016

Replaced an axle carrier on the e-revo

I wrecked the e-revo the other day. No, not really, but I hit a rock which looked like a grassy bump as high speed and one of the axle carriers broke. I haven't needed any spares until now and had none at all.


Broken axle carrier
Broken axle carrier

I ordered the broken part, TRA 7034. I also had to order a set of TRA 7033. This set contains the ball caps which keeps the pivot balls in place in the axle carrier. When the axle carrier broke, the ball cap was lost and unfortunately they do not come with the set of axle carriers. So now I have a lot of extra pivot balls I don't need.


Broken and new axle carrier
Broken and new axle carrier

While reading up on this particular part it came to my attention that it brakes a lot. People in the communities often call it a weak spot and upgrade it with a metal version. But I didn't. The fact that this part is cheap and easy to replace makes me think of which part will break if I upgrade this one to a metal part? Will it be the suspension arm, the drive shaft or some more central part like the bulk head? In any case the effort in repairing it will be much more substantial. This fix took maybe 15 minutes, including the "assistance" of my 3 year old son.

After reassembling the broken suspension it came to my attention to what degree this wheel was now fixed to the assembly. All the others have much more slop in the pivot balls, which I before thought was normal. It turns out that the axle carriers are worn down faster then I would expect (haven't driven this car for more that 2 hours total) and slop is introduced in the axle carrier. Unfortunately the ball caps cannot be tightened and replacing the axle carrier is the only option. There is an alternative axle carrier which has adjustable ball caps, but apparently that one is shit.

No comments :

Post a Comment