September 4, 2015

WLToys A979 worn out differentials

I got my WLToys A979 almost a month back. I wanted a cheap, small truggy to play around with the few times I get the opportunity. The car is really worth its price. But still, being cheap means it surely has its flaws.

I only managed to squeeze through three batteries before it started behaving badly. It had a hard time running through the grass and did make some funny noises. I quick inspection determined that the rear differential was nearing the end. But only in one direction, backwards it was working just fine. At the time, I took the differential apart and by inspection I couldn't really see any damages. But I ordered new ones right away.

I got the new differentials today. Replacing them is easy. It takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes. You'll need to loosen up 9 small screws and detach the camber links. The diff can then easily be popped out and back in its position again. I managed to do it during day time and the wife didn't even notice, now that's something!

I took the old diff apart and cleaned it up. It is now obvious that the gears are worn on one side. I tried my best to take a photo of the wear but you can't see the details really.

It is clear that the differentials on this car is one of its weaknesses. I haven't been crashing the car yet and have no idea what will break under those conditions. But even the careful driver should stock up on differentials as they obviously wear out quickly! Wltoys is probably making business out of this, since the differentials is fairly expensive in relation to the price of the entire car with radio, battery and charger included.

I got my differentials at dx.com but you'll also find them at banggood, aliexpress (cheapest atm.) and ebay.

No comments :

Post a Comment