September 13, 2015

Longer legs for the Trifecta

Last week I noticed that HobbyKing had started selling longer legs for their Trifecta frame. From the early discussions on rcgroups and by my own opinion the short legs was one of the shortcomings of the frame. Pilots fitting a small battery on the frame would be satisfied with the short legs. But even a 1300mAh battery would be nearly too big and many users use bigger batteries. The frame itself is capable of fitting quite large motors and props and many takes advantage of this and the battery that comes with such a setup.

Personally I use a 2200mAh battery. I didn't intend to in the beginning but I can use that size without compromising flight performance. Such a battery means I always belly land and take off. It comes with a few risks such as imbalance at takeoff and lipo damage at touch down. Worked fine so far but those legs will help alot in the future.

Arms legs. Old and new.

Tail leg. Old and new.


I ordered them right away and HobbyKing made a surprise delivery in only 8 (non-working) days. With el-cheapo shipping, this was a big surprise. I took the baby in the stroller to pick up the package and he was sleeping once I got back home. Perfect!

It took only a few minutes the change the legs. I had some issues with getting the old pins out to remove the old legs. But then, perfect! It doesn't look as bad as on the HobbyKing website, which gives the configuration a spidery look.

Arm with short leg.
Arm with long leg.


Tail with short leg.

Tail with long leg.

Trifecta with the new extended legs.

No comments :

Post a Comment