September 23, 2015

3GX MR on the T-Rex 250

I've had a T-Rex 250 DFC since a few years. I flew it a few times when it was new but after a while the gyro starting acting all weird and tilting uncontrollably. It came with a 3GX which I used. I tried setting it up over and over again to no avail. I even took it apart completely to check everything. Didn't help.

The thing is, the installation of the gyro is very tight. Most likely I had vibration issues and even additional damping tape wouldn't work. A potential issue could have been the tight cable installation. Anyway, that's all history now. I was certain I took a picture of the cabling, but cannot find it right now.

When I crashed the CopterX 250 I decided to retire it and reuse the 3GX MR from it. I installed it in the T-Rex. It made the entire installation much better. Less cables and no external receiver. After installation I was in for a great surprise. It just worked. It even flies well just like that!

The MR is actually a great solution for a helicopter that it fits in. Since almost all parameters are pre-configured in the MR there's not much to do but follow the installation instructions to the point. You cannot place servos the way you want and you must install the gyro in the given direction. The setup the present for the helicopter size and adjust servo centering and endpoints. Thats it! And it's enough!

No comments :

Post a Comment