April 24, 2014

Crash and more stuff in the mail

I managed to crash the FPV250 today. It kind of drifted into a tree somehow. Honestly, looking at the footage you can see it coming from far away but I just didn't pull the sticks right.

I suffered a lot of damage to the nylon screws and plywood plates that build up the center tower. The connector on the video transmitter was bent in a not so pleasant way.




But, to my great surprise, I got some parts from HobbyKing today. Amongst others was parts from the RotorBits series. I ordered some of the pre-drilled "carbon fibre" plates as they seems useful for this kind of builds.

I built up a new tower with two RotorBits sheets and strengthened/repaired the bottom flywood plate. I would have loved to replace that bottom plate with something sturdier but I haven't found a good alternative yet. I would probably need to buy a sheet of carbon and cut it myself. Unfortunately the RotorBits parts are too small. I would have loved to see a 70x50 plate. Maybe even a little larger.

Plate cut out to make room for controller connectors.
Tower with controller and video transmitter.

Mounted on the FPV250 frame.

The RotorBits parts have predrilled holes with 10mm spacing. This is very practical. But, the piece I used is a diagonal piece and the spacing is also diagonal. I would, in this case, have hoped that the spacing would still have been orthogonal to the edges. Because of this I am somewhat restricted to using more RotorBits pieces in this build. Also, the CC3D cannot be mounted properly using the pre-drilled holes this way.


I took it for a test-flight the day after I fixed it. I had repaired the video transmitter connector but unfortunately not good enough and started to break off in-flight. It didn't result in a crash but I am now one video transmitter short.



No comments :

Post a Comment